Schedule Information: Monday - Friday, 8 am - 4:30 pm. Employee is on call 24/7/52 to respond to campus security and/or safety problems. Employee must carry and maintain a personal cellular telephone, subject to College business use reimbursement rules.
Hours per Week: 37.5 hours
Benefits: Health, Dental, Life & Disability; Sick, Vacation & Holiday Pay; Personal Business; Harper Tuition Waivers; and Professional Expense
Work Conditions: The position is mostly sedentary, however the employee is subject to both indoor and outdoor environmental conditions. Employee is exposed to dust, loud machinery, plant sprays and cleaning solvents. Employee may be required to wear respiratory protection and/or hearing protection and other personal protective equipment on an occasional basis. Must be able to exert up to 50 pounds of force occasionally.
Duties of Position: The Executive Director will provide strategic planning, general management, professional direction and direct supervision and leadership for all facilities services functions including operations and maintenance and budget oversight as well as capital planning, design, and construction for a main campus of 1.2 million square feet on 186 acres with 24 buildings, as well as satellite facilities in Prospect Heights and Schaumburg.
Demonstrates an unwavering commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion by recruiting and retaining employees from diverse backgrounds and eliminating barriers to success of all students.
Leads multiple managers, foremen and supervisors in directing and executing the day-to-day facilities maintenance and operations of Harper College including custodial services, maintenance, mechanical services and systems, electrical systems, central plant and chilled water operations, elevators, waste management, event support and set-ups, hazardous materials management, engineering, energy conservation, selected outsourced services, and the preservation of the campus landscape.
Facilities Management is also responsible for planning, design and construction by coordinating and directing multiple projects – both operating and capital – including dealing with outside consultants and contractors, as well as with city and state officials. The Executive Director oversees the implementation of the campus master/capital plan to ensure established project priorities are executed on time and on budget. The Executive Director has responsibility for establishing scope, budget and oversight of the design and construction of new buildings as well as for renovations in existing campus facilities, and for planning for the future growth of the campus to accommodate enrollment and academic program changes.
The Executive Director maintains an effective interactive relationship with Harper College staff, students, campus constituencies and visitors by fostering an atmosphere of teamwork and by a leadership style which ensures proper delivery of all services and positive morale among staff. The position will:
- Develop a strategic plan for the department that reflects a clear understanding of Harper College’s direction.
- Establish standards and provide leadership and planning to ensure proper functioning of all services and personnel.
- Ensure timely and thorough responses to the needs of the college community, and prioritize use of finite resources appropriately.
- Ensure that all Facilities Management departments are delivering services in the most cost-effective manner.
- Regularly review activities to measure performance against goals while taking action to correct unfavorable trends.
- Create and sustain an environment that fosters teamwork, excellence, cooperation, respect, and diversity. Organize, train and evaluate staff.
- Oversee planning, construction, repair and renovation projects.
- Execute Campus Master Plan and Capital Plan.
- Review facility design, renovation, and new construction to establish life cycle costs and ongoing maintenance requirements.
- Proactively pursues sustainable initiatives to promote a culture of environmental responsibility throughout the campus community. Active participant in American College & University Presidents' Climate Commitment (ACUPCC) endeavors.
- Provide advice and support to the Executive Vice President of Finance and Administration including presentations and briefings to the President’s Executive Cabinet and to the Board of Trustees as designated.
Educational Requirements: Bachelor degree in engineering, business administration or related field required. Advanced degree preferred.
Experience Requirements: A minimum of 12 years of facilities related experience in a higher education, health care, corporate or governmental environment. . Extensive experience managing a complex facilities operation. Superior level of knowledge of the regulatory environment including workplace safety requirements, and environmental regulations and codes. Extensive experience in budget preparation and fiscal management as well as solid computing skills.
Demonstrated knowledge of labor relations and grievance resolution. A polished, diplomatic, and flexible management style that sets high expectations. Comfortable with a fast-paced environment where priorities can change rapidly. Superb interpersonal, problem solving, presentation and analytical skills along with sound judgment, and the ability to be an advocate for the best interests of the departments within the organization as well as for the College. Proven collaborator with the ability to communicate clearly and succinctly both in writing and orally, as well as in one-on-one, small and/or large group settings.
Application Review Date: Applications are accepted until the position is filled though priority will be given to applications received on or before: January 28, 2022.
Required Documents: ***A resume and cover letter are required to complete the application process***
* Official transcripts required upon hire
* Employment is contingent upon Criminal Background Check.
* Employment sponsorship is not available.