Vaccination and Testing Mandate
See Illinois Governor J.B Pritzker’s mandate regarding vaccination/testing requirements for Higher Education and Harper’s implementation.
Job no: 494226
Work type: Part time
Location: Harper College Main Campus (Palatine)
Categories: Professional/ Technical
Salary: $27.08 - $33.84
Pay Grade: PT Hourly PT - 19 to 29 hrs
Department: Student Development
Schedule Information: Hours may vary by semester, generally 8 am - 5 pm, Monday through Friday, some evenings and weekends may be required.
Hours Per Week: 29 hours per week, 36 weeks per year
Benefits: Prorated Sick & Vacation; Holiday Pay; 2 Harper Tuition Waivers per semester
Work Conditions: Work is primarily indoors and may occur in locations off the main campus. Requires moving from class to class, between buildings, requires interpreter to be mobile for long periods of time, and the ability to adapt to different settings and environments. Must be able to adjust working hours to meet specials jobs as needed by students with advance notice given by Scheduling Coordinator.
Duties of Position: This is a part-time (up to 29 hours per week position). Staff Interpreter is responsible for providing high level expressive/receptive interpreting and transliteration between American Sign Language and English within the instructional and/or office environment; which includes hearing and deaf/hard of hearing faculty, staff, students, visitors and interpreters.
- Provides scheduled interpreting services in the classroom and various other settings as assigned by the Scheduling Coordinator, Manager, or Director.
- Participates in departmental, divisional, college and committee meetings; as appropriate.
- Maintains professional competence through meetings, in-service training, professional development workshops, and continued interpreter training.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Educational Requirements: Completion of an accredited interpreter training program or equivalent educational experience is preferred. Completion of an Associate’s Degree or higher in a related field is required. Illinois Advanced Proficiency License is required, and Master Proficiency License is preferred.
Experience Requirements: Minimum two years of postsecondary interpreting experience is required. Demonstrated fluency in American Sign Language including excellent expressive and receptive skills. Must be flexible with responding quickly to schedule changes. Membership in national and/or state professional interpreter organization is required.
- Ability to interpret and transliterate between the ASL and sign systems and spoken English at a speed required by the assignment, which may involve a variety of settings.
- Ability to work with students from diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to interpret difficult and complex terms, concepts, ideas and emotions.
- Ability to learn unique subject matter, theories, and terminology.
Application Review Date: Applications are accepted until the position is filled though priority will be given to applications received on or before: February 1, 2022
Required Documents: ***A resume and cover letter are required to complete the application process***
* Official transcripts required upon hire
* Employment is contingent upon Criminal Background Check.
* Employment sponsorship is not available.
Harper College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We strive to create an inclusive learning and working environment where individual differences and identities are respected, valued and embraced. We encourage women, people from historically underrepresented groups, individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply.
Advertised: Central Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend